10010. William Edward Carpenter
Fort Randall was one of the first military forts along the Missouri River in Dakota Territory. It was named after Colonel Daniel W. Randall. The fort was used from 1850 to 1892. Sitting Bull was a prisoner there for a short time. African-American troops worked at the fort. The ruins of the fort chapel are still standing today.
The name of the original fort honored Colonel Daniel W. Randall, one-time deputy paymaster of the Army. It is along the Lewis & Clark Trail in Southern South Dakota.